Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Huh. THAT was a first

I was just sitting on the couch surfing the internets (what I do best during nap time) and listening to the washing machine's spin cycle when suddenly the house started shaking and the hallway light started rattling and I wondered if we were in the midst of a tornado (quick glimpse outside to the blue sky and unmoving trees said no) or if the washing machine was just REALLY out of balance (quick glimpse in the laundry room said no) or if maybe... Hmmm. Can't be. We don't have earthquakes here.

And then John called. Did you feel that earthquake, he asks? OK. Good. so I'm NOT totally crazy.

Dexter just slept through his first earthquake. And I just had my first conscious memory of an earthquake. Sure, I've probably been through one before. But never remembered it. This one? 1:54 PM on Tuesday August 23. Earth (and house) quake.

Also, double huh. Quick google search sees a 5.8 magnitude earthquake in Mineral, VA at 1:51 PM. Really? Earthquakes in Virginia? Just a few miles from where I used to live? And I could feel it here? Lots of driving hours away? Crazy.


Now I must go check Facebook...

Headphones on, broom in hand. Totally earthquake prepared...

No comments: